COPD stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. It includes components of both emphysema and chronic bronchitis. It is almost always caused by cigarette smoking. Of course, it is important to stop or at least reduce smoking. We offer techniques and medications to help patients quit. Although the emphysema component is permanent, it does not progress once smoking stops. The chronic bronchitis component can be improved with medication and proper management.
Are you trying to “just live with it”? Many patients try to tolerate COPD symptoms. They hope the symptoms will go away on their own. They suppress coughing and reduce their exertion to avoid shortness of breath. The result? More coughing. More Shortness of breath. Sedentary “couch potato” lifestyle. Missing family activities. Weight gain. Stress. Anxiety. Depression and more! Meanwhile, the lung condition is gradually getting worse and worse. Eventually? Home oxygen and a repeating cycle of emergency room visits and hospitalizations until…
Take charge of your COPD! Whether COPD is mild, moderate or severe… COPD is treatable and COPD worsening is preventable. People with COPD can lead active and full lives.
We are here to partner with you to manage your lung disease in the best way possible. Our treatment is based on a unique, collaborative team approach. The goal? Create a Personalized Care Plan with education for both patient and family.
Some of our guiding principles to diagnose and treat COPD:
- Diet and lifestyle counseling
- Medications to reduce chest congestion and improve breathing
- Teach effective positional cough techniques for efficient clearing of excess mucus which “cleans the lungs”, improves breathing and reduces the risk of pneumonia
- Identify hidden factors such as allergy and GERD which can aggravate bronchial inflammation
- Teach how to recognize and treat early worsening of COPD when it’s much easier to avoid emergencies and get back to normal
- Don’t settle for “a little better is good enough”. Work toward the goal “best it can be!”
COPD cannot be cured…but it can be improved. Once it is improved, it can be maintained with proper management.
ATTENTION SMOKERS: We are happy to work with you to reduce and eventually stop smoking. We will not lecture or humiliate you. We realize you want to stop. Until you do stop, we can show you a simple technique to offset the damaging effects of smoking.